Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: June 18, 2008

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 07:02:57 PDT

Hi Julie-
for one year, I was in the medical illustration program at The
Cleveland Institute of Art (before I switched majors, and way before I
became a teacher). Anyway, you might consider contacting them for
ideas, but anatomical drawing generally involves drawing from bones,
from "life" (i.e. bodies in the morgue, we went to the Case Medical
School morgue), and lots of dissection. Back then, we primarily worked
with colored pencils on Mei Teinte (this was in the early 80's), but
most medical illustrations are done on computers now. In fact, there
are "virtual dissection" lessons available for HS students who cannot
stomach frog dissections, etc., but I don't know if there are more
medical school-type things out there for you to use. The first real
medical illustrator was Leonardo da Vinci, back when human dissections
were considered illegal. The book that originally inspired me to
pursue that field was "Gray's Anatomy", still a great resource...I
think general bone drawings would be a great place to start, done by
hand, and later, using the computer. The human body & the structural
parts are truly amazing to draw!
hope you get the job,
Lois