Re:[teacherartexchange] medical illustration

---------

From: Ellen Burnside (ellenburnside_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 06:39:34 PDT

Hi Julie,
I have a bachelor's degree from Rochester Institute of Technology in Biomedical Photographic Communications with a concentration in ophthalmic (which I still do during the summer months). Will you have access to a photography lab? If not, most students these days have simple point and shoot digital cameras. Some of the skills we covered that might be viable for high school as well are: photomacrography; forensic and crime scene; small specimen; small animal; patient (documenting something like a rash or rupture with consistent size and lighting as well as isolating the subject from the background. The field is very geared towards using new technologies. Check out the program's website if you think this might be interesting. Michael Peres, the program's director, also mentions on his personal webpage that he is "interested in the exploration of how Images produced for science are viewed as art by the non-scientific audience". He might be a great person to dialogue with. I think his email is somewhere on the w
ebpage. Doing a documentary project in photo or other media might also be a good idea. There is a plastic surgeon (can't remember his name) who did a series on children burn victims and also one on patient' with AIDS. These are good projects to help increase student as well as public awareness. You would have to coordinate models and make sure students were sensitive to the patients' issues, etc. Sensitivity is probably something they should be learning anyway. Also, maybe a project to donate to patients would be a good way to go. Our Home Econ. department creates quilts every year to give to patients who have cancer at a local hospital.
-Ellen