Re:[teacherartexchange] 6-8 Art Curriculum

---------

From: suzanne rowe (mtsuz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2008 - 07:55:49 PDT

Thank you John for your information, I will email you off list.

Maggie, welcome to small school Montana, well Montana practices as far as that goes, often the PE teacher doubles as the art teacher because they have a minor in art. =) The last school I worked at has an art teacher that is a history major with an art minor. She doesn't like art and does not think that art should be taught by artists! ha ha

I agree it is unbelievable but it is a better situation then the one I just left, where I was working contracted for two classes in SpEd but writing curriculum and lessons for 4 more SpEd classes as an aid as well as writing plans for another aid, it was rather complicated. I did go to my union and they said there really wasn't much I could do it is common practice in Montana for aids to write their own lessons.

Anyway, I started my career late, I am 44 and have been going to school on and off for the last 8 years. I have a BS in teaching with endorsements in Art K-12, SpEd P-12, Elementary Ed and an associates in Computer Layout and Design. I am well rounded and I am sure they are looking at using all of my abilities. Yes I have been working in Sp Ed for the past 4 years and do know the responsibilities of the job, all to well.

I have only touched base with this other teacher who is licensed in Elementary at least. I am going to try to touch base with him this summer and find out his expectations. I did mention to him when I met him, for all of one minute, that I would rather approach this as a team teaching effort and he seemed ok with that. He is a fairly new teacher at this school as well. What happened was they had three Kindergartens last year, his first year, this coming year they are short of numbers so one Kindergarten is being eliminated, his class. He is going to be used as a floating teacher next year and with NCLB I have a reading block each morning from 8:30 to 11 am during the time the middle school art is scheduled. Art classes are only taught on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

It is going to be a challenging year, I am going to be putting in some unbelievable hours and at times it is going to stink. But, I need to get my foot in the door and I need a full time contract. I have applied for a few other jobs this past spring but what the schools really wanted was sports coaches not teachers. Here in Montana sports are often attached to your teaching position, they will run adds that say Wanted Art Teacher for high school with the ability to be Head Football coach, or preference for coaching experience, or ability to coach what ever. It is frustrating to say the least. But, I am located here and my husband isn't going to move anytime soon and I am working towards making the best of the situation handed to me at this time.

I have heard of the survival kit, I will add it to my order for next year.

Thank you everyone for your advice and input, I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this is a rather crazy situation. When they put on your contract assigned as needed know that they will! I would be more apprehensive except all of the teachers I have talked to so far enjoy their jobs and the school. They are all willing to help out and so far have been supportive. As the summer goes on I may have more specific questions, I know this was pretty general.

Thanks again,
Suzanne