Re: [teacherartexchange] 6-8 Art Curriculum

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 17:34:47 PDT

This...is...un...be...liev...a...ble. If the teacher they hired is
incapable of teaching the subject, why on earth did they hire her?!
Just curious--what is your background/certifications/experience?

As a new hire you are sorta at the mercy of the admin. However, to
expect you to write your own curric and lesson plans, PLUS someone
else's (and three grades' worth, even!), is unconscionable. Unless you
are totally desperate for this job, I would go to the admin/school
board/curric coordinator and politely refuse to write another teacher's
lesson plans. You already have a lot on your plate 1) as a teacher new
to the school and its policies, procedures, and culture (there's always
a lot to learn), 2) writing a comprehensive art curric and lesson plans
to go with it, for several grades, and 3) implementing a curric and
lesson plans for several grades of SpEd, and presumably the testing and
paperwork that go with it. I've spent a lot of time with SpEd teachers
and if you haven't taught it before, the paperwork alone will keep you
more than busy. There are a ton of federal guidelines you have to be
familiar with. Then, you're expected to write lesson plans for someone
with no experience with either the concepts of art education nor the
materials. You would be spending a lot of your time and energy teaching
her how to do everything (does she know how to mix paint? manage a
painting unit?) There is no way you will be able to do justice to all
that, and the students are the ones who will pay.

I admire, sort of, your district's desire to offer art in the elementary
grades, though it's no doubt to give the classroom teachers a break once
a week (call me cynical). However, their solution is unworkable. The
kindergarten teacher would have a slightly better chance at success
teaching the elementary art classes. She can double up lessons and
they'd never know the difference (K-1 can do the same lesson, for
example). You could then teach MS art and the SpEd classes. Could you
suggest that?

If you really really really want this job, and admin really really
really insists you do it all, your desire to be a team player and to do
good by the MS art "teacher" will cause you to overdo it, no doubt. At
that point, I would sketch out a basic curric and direct the
teacher--and I do feel for her--to resources like Incredible Art
Department and the Web sites of our many excellent teachers on this
listserv for lesson plans she would feel comfortable implementing. A
good book I've used is A Survival Kit for the Elementary/Middle School
Art Teacher, by Helen Hume.

Having always been treated with respect by admin as an art teacher, I'm
constantly amazed at the conditions so many of you work under. This,
however, probably takes the cake in my 12 years on this list.

Maggie