Re: [teacherartexchange] preparing for an art show

---------

From: Jeannie Browning (paintslingr_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 10:18:29 PDT

Some thoughts...
Invest in some form of tent cover - or borrow one - in case of rain or
intense sun.
Take a large cooler with ice, snacks, lunch, & water. A lightweight rain
jacket and sunblock!
Take a folding chair and table for comfort.
Ask a partner to accompany you to help set up early, to allow you to
retrieve lunch or get a bathroom break.

Call ahead of time to ask about an electrical supply for a small fan or
lighting for work.
Take a lock box with lots of change and $1 bills.
Prepare signage, then take extra mat board or foamcore with large markers
for unexpected needs.

Small giveaways for children can be a hit: hard candy pops or promo trinkets
like erasers, etc.
Sometimes, if a customer sees an artist working on a small piece, it gives
you a conversation-starter to fill those awkward moments.
Think about how customers are going to transport your work. Are bags needed?
You may want to keep records of customers for your resume, so take a
clipboard and pens.
Attach those business cards to the back of your artwork for extra PR.

Still Thinking...