[teacherartexchange] Assistive Technology in the Classroom

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 12:44:16 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNet Folks,

This article on assistive technology was featured in this week's
Edutopia e-newsletter. http://www.edutopia.org/assistivetechnology
In it, students are featured using assistive technology to accomplish
tasks otherwise impossible to them. One high schooler uses a specially
adapted Euphonium with a joystick to fully participate in the band.
Others use assistive technology to communicate, speech-activated
software to write college papers, etc. As the article and included
video points out, there is a lot of assistive technology out there,
but awareness is low, and parents don't always know their rights. If
you have a child with a disability in your classroom, check with your
school/district's physical, occupational, or speech therapist to see
if some technology adaptations can help him/her participate in your
class.

FYI - Prior to teaching overseas, I worked quite extensively with kids
with disabilities both in the artroom and computer lab, with
adaptations ranging from very low-tech (i.e. adaptive scissors,
masking tape) to high-tech (i.e. switch-activated control of KidPix).
I was the first to receive degrees in both Adaptive Art and Assistive
Technology.

Melissa Enderle