[teacherartexchange] terri and her split job thoughts ..

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 02:31:54 PDT

Please try thinking that they are trying to save the art position entirely.
Having the whole thing cut would have been even worse.

When you can: write down your concerns. Phrase things in terms of what is
in the best interests of the kids.
Figure out the total kids you teach now,divide your expendable budget into
that. Get cost per body. Than figure out how many more bodies will run
through your program. You have to have at least 5-10 % more supplies. When
they say no, ask about HS booster clubs, other ways to get money...

Ask to have some input into the schedule. Especially around traveling
times. In our state your lunch can not also be your in the car travel time.

Be sure you are released from hall duties etc as you are taking on much
more travel and planning creating this new program. Try no duties for first
year.

Think about what you want to do with the 9th graders first. You know what
they just finished with you in middle school.

And remember you have us, the cyber posse to help you through the next year.

Randy in Maine, where the new superintendent in his infinite wisdom had us
start after labor day this year. That plus 6 snow days has me going to
school until June 25th.... whimper whimper.