Re: [teacherartexchange] Tin punch projects, string art/curve stitching

---------

From: pam smith (thinkart2003_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 16:22:15 PDT

I have done the stitching project many times. What I
like best for middle school age kids is oak tag or
card stock and thick thread. They create their design
using angles. Then they glue it on the back of the oak
tag. I usually have them create two of the same, one
with the lines drawn and one with just the rays and
points on the rays. That way they can see what it
should look like on the front anyway. I have xeroxed
they design before they draw the lines on it, it's
easier for them.

After the glue dries, they use a push pin and poke
holes in all their dots or points on the ray of the
angle. Then they use a blunt head needle and sew the
lines in. Make sure they know that the back should be
mostly short dashed lines and the front the long
lines. I have some patterns, but I can't get in my
room for a while. However, I googled "line designs"
and got some more patterns and ideas. It is much
easier than pounding nails and usually comes out ok.

P.S. You have to make sure they know how to tie a
double knot, too. It is loads of fun. Good luck.

Pam