Re: [teacherartexchange] Middle School Curriculum

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 17:17:18 PDT

I only have my students for 9 weeks, which makes teaching anything
in-depth impossible!

With my 6th graders, I teach mainly processes -- how to use media
properly and safely, and some basic color theory, shading, facial
proportions, and 1-point perspective. I do this while teaching
multicultural lessons, which makes it really fun for the kids. (Like,
we learn how to use ink and brushes to do Chinese Calligraphy, and we
learn safe carving and printmaking to make Egyptian Cartouche
stamps... etc...)

With my 7th/8th graders, I focus more on the Elements and Principles
of Art. We might study Klimt to focus on shape and rhythm, or we
might study Van Gogh and focus on color and texture.

I just wish I had a longer time. I try to follow the state
objectives, but it's nearly impossible to cover everything in 9 weeks!