RE: [teacherartexchange] Artist Research

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 11:11:57 PDT

This is interesting. I am struck first by the lack of
curiosity - if you are interested in photography, how
can you not want to see as many good photographs as
you can? How can you decide what a good photograph is?

And then I am struck by the arrogance (perhaps too
strong a word) - as IF you could copy Ansel Adams'
style! Right - run along and "do" a Weston today.

It reminds me of the opening of a commercially very
very successful "self taught" artist - very proud of
being "self taught". One of her paintings was of a
Mexican-looking woman holding a large bunch of calla
lilies. Someone at the opening (not me, I just thought
it real loud) mentioned it reminded them of Diego
Rivera. She said "I don't know who that is" and walked
away in a huff. It just made me sad.

Betty C Bowen
printmaker, painter
art educator