Re: [teacherartexchange] Artist Research

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 10:34:24 PDT

Hi Susan,

You student has a valid point... But research is important.

One way to get your students exited about research is to first have
them take a number of photographs. Look at the photographs together
and see what photographers come to mind.
This requires you to have a lot of knowledge about photographers yourself.
Tell the students they share a similar view as "so and so" then have
them research that particular photographer. There may be several
photographers that come to mind. In that case, the student can choose
which one to research. Part of the research will be to find the
photographer's influences - where they got their ideas. Maybe they
will discover on their own that photographers are indeed inspired by
other photographers?

Apply the same idea with any medium.... have the student create art
first - then find the art history connection and do the research. Look
at artists who were inspired by the same subject matter.... or
exhibited a similar style...... or......

Judy Decker