RE: [teacherartexchange] Artist Research

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (watercolorwiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 08:48:59 PDT

Justifications:
        #1. In developing style, it is important to consider options. Analyzing
other artists' styles gives artists opportunity to consider options. For
example, while I admire Andrew Wyeth's narrative approach to landscapes, his
work sometimes feels too "tight" for me. When I feel my own work being so
constricted, I refresh my artistic eye by looking at Winslow Homer and
Edward Hopper. These artists contribute to my artistic vision, but I don't
ape them.
        #2. In western art history, artists develop unique styles by responding to
other artists. One example is Picaaso and Braque, as they responded to work
by Cezanne in developing analytic cubism. Paying attention to what is
happening in the art world today and the past helps artists develop style by
engaging in a "conversation" with other artists and viewers through your
work.
        #3. While developing individuality, it is important not to "re-invent" the
wheel. For example, my sense of depicting real space and proportion is
definitely flavored by both Brunelesschi (linear perspective) and
Michelangelo. I did not need to re-discover these basic tenents in order to
use them. Disregarding others works may mean more work!!

Hope this helps.