Re: [teacherartexchange] Canon digital camera PROBLEM???

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 05:04:28 PDT

>I have a Canon A300 PowerShot digital camera, 3.2 megapixels...had it for about 3 to 5 years...can't remember exactly how long...but today, the weirdest thing happened. I was taking photos at a workshop...and all of a sudden...black and white lines...kept shooting back and forth and up and down on the screen. I've checked the batteries...they're new...and checked the card...the photos I'd already taken are still there. . . . .

Carolyn,

Before you toss a sick digital camera, try rebooting it. First save all the good images from your memory to a computer. Then put the memory card back in the computer. Switch it on. Open the battery compartment to disconnect the batteries while it is switched on. Close it to reconnect the batteries and see if the problem has been fixed or not. This has worked for me on another brand.

If the problem persists, you may need firmware (camera operating system) or hardware replacement. Some cameras allow the user to download new firmware from the company without sending in the camera. The downloaded firmware can be updated from a computer. You need to follow some very precise instructions from the camera company to get this to work.

If you have had the camera for a while, many of the new ones are much better and the price is lower. Image stabilization in a very useful feature I would not want to do without.

I like to check this web site for comparison available digital cameras.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Before ordering I find a site that has user reviews of the product. Amazon provides user reviews on most things they sell. However, Amazon may not have the best price. Once I have selected the camera, other sites can be used to compare prices.

Marvin