Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Inscribing Meaning: Writing + Graphic Systems in African Art

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 16:23:52 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I don't think I have posted this exhibit yet....
Inscribing Meaning: Writing + Graphics in African Art
Exhibit is on view at National Museum of African Art through Aug 26.

From the web site:
"Inscribing Meaning explores the relationships between African art and
the communicative powers of language, graphic systems and the written
word. For thousands of years, African artists have incorporated
writing and graphic symbols into their art with great ingenuity and

An artist I have "talked" to via email has a work in this exhibit.
Victor Ekpuk, Nigerian artist, has a piece shown in the Sacred Scripts section.

Clicking on the section titles will take you to a sampling of the
works of art featured in the exhibition.

The exhibition will be on view at the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural
History Oct. 14, 2007, to Feb. 17, 2008.

Judy Decker

To unsubscribe go to