[teacherartexchange] Does anyone know the best way to paint plaster?

---------

From: Colin Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 10:24:30 PDT

 I've been having trouble with some sculptures. We carve plaster, but when we paint it, I've found that tempera and acrylic tends to flake off. Perhaps the plaster carvings weren't entirely dry....But even when the paint sticks, if we bang them at all in normal handling, the plaster chips off taking the color with it.
I've tried putting a tempera varnish over them, and polyurithene varnish over them, but the varnish seems to crack and shrink on the surface when it dries.
Any suggestions?
diane