Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching in schools and college art ed

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 09:04:14 PDT

Jane's post is so powerful and gives so much to consider.

A recent issue of ArtNews (or maybe Art in America) had a long
article on college art teachers discussing and debating what goes on
in art schools and in particular the possibility of a doctorate in
fine arts. What I remember most from the article was one person
saying ( and forgive me I can't remember who) saying ----- "if you
think critical thinking is going on in the arts schools, think
again...."
So as I ponder all Jane has to say
I wonder how we best bring critical and original thinking to our
students? How do we mesh the "what is happening" in their lives with
and all the issues they have to deal with and the most effective
ways to make those expressions? That is the real job of the art
teacher, I think.
Jane is so correct in saying that the kids find alternative ways to
make their expressions-- their communication is through forms that
affirm the basic need to make statements and I'm not sure we address
their alternatives. Is My Space another form of cave paintings? Can
we make a correlation? We are so slow to keep up with the many
avenues they find to make a place for their needs.
We exist in systems that are soooooo careful. We get "blocked" from
sources that we need to teach them about. They are finding ways and
means to come up with the desires and attentions the traditional
artists struggled through. They can do it in a click of a button, and
yet we keep plodding through the what was?

My world moves much much too fast for me. By the time I figure
something, "they" have found something else. I truly don't know what
is good art anymore. I AM a history nut, But what I present is "why
did the artist do it?" and how can you take the same questioning
and do it?

The great artists from any era did 2 things--
      They questioned what was... and they valued their importance
in asking the questions
          it wasn't about refining technique it was about
questions and visions and understanding the issues of the time and
finding the ways and means to translate the observations.

I sometimes think that current art making is so convoluted because
some how we forgot to teach them how to observe and connect and we
got so busy "in the style of' they needed to find their own style.

Patty