Re: [teacherartexchange] NAEA( teacherartexchange digest: June 16, 2007)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 21:03:37 PDT

Spelling was always, and still is, a problem for me. It was always a
roadblock
to learning how to write. It was not until I took classes in a community
college that the teacher simply said, "don't worry about spelling -
just write
and continue writing." She told me to simply circle the words I was
not sure
about and look them up later. A weight was lifted when I knew I would
not be
"red marked" for all those missed spelled words. Only then did I
begin to
learn to write.
                                Woody
My sixth graders kept an eye on my spelling when I taught. They
"politely" checked
anything I put up in the art room. Of course, now I have spell checker.

On Jun 20, 2007, at 9:19 PM, Carokarn@aol.com wrote:

> I didn't mean to imply that we as teachers should ignore spelling and
> grammar, but I know what a challenge it is for children who grow up
> in homes with
> family members who are functionally illiterate or speak a different
> language.
> Language arts teachers are challenged to bridge the gaps in the
> best way they
> can. We should certainly correct errors whenever possible, but I
> would be in
> trouble without "spellchecker". It could be worse, have you ever
> read anything
> written by George Washington in the original? There wasn't any
> standardized
> spelling until the 1800's.
>
> Carol

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque