Re: [teacherartexchange] College level/public school dichotomy

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 20:26:26 PDT

On Jun 20, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Diane Gregory wrote:

> How has the wall been created between higher ed and K-12?
> I want to try to break down this wall...any thoughts?
>
> Diane

Unlike Michal, I knew I wanted to teach art at the middle level. But
through
the many (12) years I was in college I was never exposed to the real
world
of teaching till my senior year (student teaching). That differs now,
I hope,
and it varies depending on the program we came through. I feel that
prospective
art teachers should be encouraged and required to get inside schools
very early
in their education. I should have done it on my own but I didn't. I
did inquire
as to why we were not exposed. I was told that it was to ground us in
theory
first. I feel the answer was to simply rationalize the practice in use.

I began teaching about the time my own children were in middle
school. I got a
position in the same urban inner city area we lived in, unlike many
who were
put in areas and cultures new to them. Most of us succeeded even
though our
paths and backgrounds differed. I doubt there is a simple answer nor
a single
route to becoming a capable teacher. To succeed in teaching I had to
be very
flexible. I suspect that in teaching teachers how to succeed we too
must be
flexible.

I went into teaching to continue learning. I love learning and
teaching others
to love it as well. That was enough motivation for me to hang in
there and grow.
                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net