Re: [teacherartexchange] College level/public school dichotomy

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 15:00:18 PDT

On Jun 20, 2007, at 3:39 PM, KPRS2 wrote:

> Hi
> I'd like to add some other fuel to the fire to say that whether
> an art
> teacher is prepared or not to teach is a combination of many factors,
> including the undergraduate college courses/program, and the desire
> of the
> individual to take their education past what they learn in their
> classes. I
> have, over the years, been able to sit in on interviews for
> prospective art
> teachers, and have also worked with a variety of individuals. While
> this is
> a generalization, I have found that those who came "alternate
> route" (not
> from a traditional art education background but with a background
> in one
> discipline, i.e. painting BFA), were a bit surprised at what they
> perceived
> to be a lack of passion on the students part for what they were
> teaching.
>
> My point?
>
> A degree whether BFA, or BA in Art Education is NOT the end point,
> it is the
> beginning. Art Teacher preparation courses can only bring students
> to the
> trough, they must drink the water of knowledge and experience on
> their own.
>
> San D

While I'm in agreement with the points you make - let me add that it
is our duty
as art teachers to both model and teach the passion. Too many
teachers complain
that their students are not motivated about art. Well - It's our job
to get them
motivated, to instill passion in them, to show by example our love
for the
subject we teach. If they are not concerned about art, it is our
fault. We are
entrusted with the responsibility of lighting the fires in them for a
true love
for art.
                                Woody

Read my Blog at