Re: [teacherartexchange] College level/public school dichotomy

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 16:52:20 PDT

> I think maybe it's time we divided the certification--- elementary
> and high school.

        Why? And where do you put in middle/junior high? (On any given
day they can change from age 4 to 30 and back. ) Won't this
separation make art teachers with elementary certification be further
profiled as "inferior?" I spent 35 awesome years teaching at the
elementary level, K-6, and I often wished I could scream at
administrators, university professors, state education department
know-it-alls and colleagues (UP at the secondary) who referred to
the elementary level as "DOWN." And as an elementary art teacher I
was reminded of the fact that I was not a REAL teacher. Take that
BFA, MFA, PhD and BEFORE anyone gets a K-12 certificate, the
applicant has to teach kindergarten and primary grades art for at
least 3 years! There is nothing inferior about a basement that is
is built on good solid ground. It is a "calling" and deserves
respect and admiration for the great teachers who dedicate their
lives to working with the wee ones, under the most insane
conditions. And yes, I did produce, and still can, a body of work in
my field of printmaking. So my life as an educator was not spent as
a "cut and paste loser." I did not "end up" as an elementary school
art teacher because I was too stupid to be a secondary art teacher.
I chose that level, and I would do it again, despite all the arrogant
crap that gets hurled at teachers who are in elementary schools.

                                        Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                                        Art teacher, K-5, retired
PS I was a cooperating teacher to over 30 student teachers from
OSU. The experience was very rewarding for me and my students, and I
had opportunities to work with the art education department
professors in formulating courses that were meaningful to future
teachers and teachers
out in the field.