Re: [teacherartexchange] College level/public school dichotomy

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 16:35:25 PDT

Here are some thoughts I have on the studio/art ed differences

I find that expectations between traditional studio classes and art ed
are entirely different. In college it would frustrate me to see my
friends done with their lesson plans and be watching tv or going out
where i was up all hours every night of the week working on projects.

Their lesson plans were also not graded on originality of the lesson
just the method of instruction and organization. (sort of like a
checklist) Right there, a mistake. It's something big that is missing
from the studio setting.

Maybe places already do this, but do the students critique each other?
I found that very valuable. Made me question myself and work harder.

To be honest....the classes were a joke. It was what you would take to
get an easy "A". I don't think this is sending the correct message to
students, teaching is such a difficult profession that the
expectations should be very high and the amount of hours dedicated to
out of classroom projects should be more. That way the transition
could be better to the high school or elementary classroom.

We did have one professor that crossed back and forth between art ed
and photo, and a lot of art ed majors complained because they thought
she was too hard. :)

They were required to have a concentration in a media which I think
was nice. It helped break down the wall between studio and art ed.

I also think more art history would be helpful...heck...ANY
history/philosophy type classes would be good.

But interesting tidbit, I found that my colleagues in regular
elementary ed said the art ed classes were the hardest of all their
coursework. Hrm....

I found similar parallels talking to other graduates from colleges in the area.

Just my $0.02

Peace-

Jen