Re: [teacherartexchange] College level/public school dichotomy

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 15:26:19 PDT

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your wonderful answer! I appreciate it so
very much! I will pass these ideas on to those who
are teaching those classes. I really like the idea of
doing the work for AP art studio/art history.

I also agree with you about the BA art ed vs the BFA
with certification at the Master's level.
Nevertheless, the state of Texas just mandated that
credit hours be reduced to 120 hours. This makes it
almost impossible to offer the traditional BFA you are
talking about. It is discouraging.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a wise,
reflective and insightful answer.

Warmly,

Diane
--- Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net> wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2007, at 2:07 PM, Diane Gregory wrote:
> >
> > As for me, I would like to do my part by asking
> K-12
> > art teachers the following question: What should
> be
> > taught in the elementary and secondary art methods
> > classes? What kinds of activities should be
> conducted
> > to help future art teachers be better prepared to
> > teach K-12 art? What kinds of reforms should be
> > implemented in K-12 art teacher preparation
> programs?
>
> Since I'm gong through the interviewing process and
> seeing what I'm
> offered to choose from this is what I have to say.
>
> I much prefer to see someone who went through a fine
> arts program
> first and then went for the certification through a
> masters program.
> The applicants that I see who only go through art ed
> programs seem to
> have limited skills and little knowledge of art
> history. I see way
> too many portfolios with work that is less
> accomplished than my high
> school students. I think maybe it's time we divided
> the
> certification--- elementary and high school.
>
> I think DBAE and standards has hurt more than
> helped. What has been
> lost is future teacher understanding of the artistic
> behavior and
> process. I see way way too many of the same old
> lessons rehashed and
> see way too little of fostering critical thinking
> and problem
> solving. I see way too little understanding of why
> artists have made
> certain decisions and how we bring that context to
> our current
> students. I see way too much emphasis on a few
> artists and disregard
> for the deviants. I want to see lessons that
> understand the
> deviation, not an "aping" of the style.
> The standard that I see least regarded is the one
> that says students
> will apply knowledge to inform their own personal
> expression through
> application of symbols and motifs. That is hard
> stuff to teach and
> that is where I think we fail to give the emerging
> teachers the
> experiences and avenues to coney just what artistic
> intent is.
>
> > What kinds of activities should be conducted
> > to help future art teachers be better prepared to
> > teach K-12 art?
>
> Put them through the AP Studio Art portfolio
> process. Make them
> develop a Concentration and a Breadth of skills and
> be able to
> verbalize an intention.
> Make them study art history intensely not just
> superficially. We
> have Graduation projects for high school students
> in order to get a
> [...]

Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Associate Professor of Art Education
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate