Re: [teacherartexchange] College level/public school dichotomy

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 11:07:13 PDT

Hi Heather,

I am sorry you had such a poor experience while you
were in college.

After teaching for 25 years at the university level, I
can tell you that there is generally a disconnect
between the goals of universities and public schools.
Colleges of Education are stuck in the middle between
two competing forces and the "system" is so arranged
that it would take massive amounts of reform to change
it.

There is a huge systemic problem with our entire
educational system in the United States. I don't
profess to know the entire picture and neither do I
have an answer. It is something that does need to be
attended to though. I am afraid the problem is so
large it would take years to figure out exactly what
the problem is and years to implement a solution. I
have some opinions about what some of those problems
are and some ideas for making some changes. However,
I don't have the wisdom or the greater perspective to
know if my thoughts are worthwhile.

Nevertheless, all of us must work hard to not be a
part of the problem. So, I recommend that all of us
on this List make a commitment to do our own part in
some small way, perhaps, to improve the quality of
education.

As for me, I would like to do my part by asking K-12
art teachers the following question: What should be
taught in the elementary and secondary art methods
classes? What kinds of activities should be conducted
to help future art teachers be better prepared to
teach K-12 art? What kinds of reforms should be
implemented in K-12 art teacher preparation programs?

Thanks,

Diane
--- Heather_Hayes@roundrockisd.org wrote:

> >What is going on between what is happening in our
> public schools and
> >what is happening in the universities? Doesn't
> seem to me that there > is
> a good mesh between what I am looking for and what
> is being >produced.
> >Just what is going on in the colleges and how much
> are you looking to
> >what is going on in the schools?
> >And why is there not better dialogue between the
> two.???????
> It's only been 7 years since I was in college for
> art ed, and even while I
> was there I was already asking these kinds of
> questions. I, too, was
> amazed at my classmates in general education
> classes. Classes that I found
> exceedingly dull and watered-down were over their
> heads. (I often told
> people that I felt less intelligent for having
> actually sat through the
> classes.) What is even more depressing is that
> theoretically, my
> university has one of the best (general) ed
> departments in the state. My
> Ed professors were BY FAR the worst teachers I ever
> had, and at least at my
> school, they didn't have a clue about what actually
> happened in a
> classroom. Most of them hadn't been in the
> classroom in 20 years. Some
> hadn't even been a classroom teacher - they went
> straight into graduate
> school, and then straight into college-level
> teaching. None of them were
> excited or passionate about public school teaching.
> It wasn't until I
> student taught that I met anyone who was passionate
> about actually teaching
> art to students, and that was my cooperating teacher
> - not one of my
> professors.
> There often seems to be a divide between college
> level and public schools
> because even the many of the professors themselves
> buy into the lack of
> respect for K-12 classroom teachers. They view
> themselves as more
> professional, more learned, and more elite. I know
> my professors would
> never have dreamed of collaborating with a mere
> classroom teacher.
>

> Heather Hayes
>

> ---
> To unsubscribe go to