Re: [teacherartexchange] re-NAEA

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 05:35:25 PDT

Hi Rick and others,

At the risk of sounding like I am whining, I have
noticed that the students who choose to go into
elementary education and K-12 art education are
usually not the top students academically. I could be
more specific but I won't elaborate. I have been
teaching at the university level for over 25 years and
the situation is getting worse all the time.

Unfortunately, it appears that the profession of
education does not attract the most academically
talented students, in general. I suspect it might
have something to do with the perceived working
conditions, lack of professional esteem, low salaries
and other negative perceptions of the field. A
recent survey that indicated why teachers only stay in
the field an average of 5 years, attributed it to poor
working conditions.

Those of us who have stayed in education do so because
we love it and we tolerate the conditions.

So as a university teacher educator, I try to help my
students improve. I take them where they are and help
them move as far as they can.

I hope this helps explain the situation, at least to
some degree and from my perspective.

Cheers,

Diane

Dr. Diane C. Gregory