[teacherartexchange] re-NAEA

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 04:59:39 PDT

Patty, I have to agree- Having taught a methods class at the college level,
I was amazed at the ed majors that couldn't spell. The more confusing
thing, to me was, when I marked them down for not being able to write a
coherent and grammatically correct sentence ( in which one didn't know the
difference between 'learn' and 'teach',) they couldn't believe that I would
do that, and went to the dean about it. I got the impression that they just
didn't think that anything about art was important,
and I couldn't believe they were going to be graduating in the field of
education. There is a complete lack of understanding of the role of the
arts for the majority of educators. NAEA could be promoting and supporting
educational initiatives for universities to make sure that all those going
into the field of education understand this critical role.
Betsy