Re: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: June 15, 2007

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 17:55:36 PDT

Hi Patricia,

According to a lot of the research, students prefer
the traditional approach to teaching. They don't like
student centered learning or constructivist
approaches. Could it be that students don't really
want to learn? How has this happened? Is it really
just because the teacher hasn't found a way to
motivate the student? Could it be that no amount of
motivation can make some students learn? Is it always
the teacher's responsibility for helping students want
to learn?

These are serious questions. I am not whining,
although it may sound like that. I want to know what
the rest of you think. Is our culture producing
people who are no longer intellectually curious? My
question is not about who is at fault. I am trying to
ascertain the processes by which students become dull
and uninterested in life...they don't grab for life!
They slide around the outside wall. They don't seize
the day! (Carpe Diem). How does our society go about
helping people wake up!

What are your thoughts?

Diane