Re: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: June 15, 2007

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 16:03:56 PDT

Why do kids turn off to learning?

It's interest --------- student directed learning

We hold so dearly to notions of what we think kids should know.
It's not so dear to THEM
I'm an old fogie and I would wish every kid held my notions-- but
it's just not the case.

When I write curriculum I labor and labor over the big questions--
and it's those big questions that are the teachers chore to find and
elaborate on.
What do I care about that I can find a way to make them care about???
The big questions are very important.

They care diddly squat about what we have cherished
they care about the immediate and the immediate means to make
the expression in what ever means or ways
What we need to care about is how we can keep up with the immediate
means of expression. Boredom pervades when the teacher can not
find the ways and means to engage. In the ever fast world of
communication ------------ old notions are OLD.
We can profess all we want about the traditional,
BUT
if we don't get on top of the ways they make expressions
then then

all the tradition is for naught.

I'm fed to death with lessons that don't address just where the kids
are within the world that needs addressing. Just where the world is
and where they are.

We need to give up some stuff in order to keep them in art.

Patty