Re: [teacherartexchange] NAEA( teacherartexchange digest: June 16, 2007)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 15:37:48 PDT

I think all of us that teach within the "system" understand what San
D says. Those of us that are "elders" within the system give
graciously to the young ones coming in to tackle the nuts and bolts
of the requirements to meeting the demands of obtaining and securing
a tenured contracted position.

But

Having just gone through the hiring process, and I'm not done with
that yet, I have to wonder what is going on in the University
process??????? Over 200 applications for a position and I have
eliminated at least 50% for careless errors. So think about that,
I'm not even looking at what you think because, if you can't take
the time to make proper entries on a form.... What kind of teacher
will you be if you can't take the time to make sure you are correct?

Nothing about art ed philosophy means anything if you can't
spell!!!!!!!! and I mean that -- I eliminate for spelling
I am totally at odds with interviews where candidates can't answer
questions about current "isms"

What is going on between what is happening in our public schools and
what is happening in the universities? Doesn't seem to me that there
is a good mesh between what I am looking for and what is being produced.
Just what is going on in the colleges and how much are you looking to
what is going on in the schools?
And why is there not better dialogue between the two.???????