Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: June 15, 2007

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 15:17:39 PDT

Using the Big Question approach can lead to creative
and critical thinking. But I see that this doesn't
always work.

However, I think there are some underlying problems
that all teachers encounter. I run into this all the
time. Sometimes my students don't want to learn.
Sometimes they are too stressed or too overwhelmed or
too bored to put forth the effort.

I wonder how this has started? At what point do
students get turned off to learning and why? What is
happening and why?

I have noticed that even when good teachers pose
creative questions, or provide creative activities, I
have noticed that some students do what I call, "Slide
around the outside wall." They don't seem to engage.
They seem lifeless, uninspired and unengaged. They
don't seem interested. This attitude can become
pervasive and can negatively affect the entire
educational climate.

Why does this happen? How does this happen? What can
teachers do about it? How can we change the system so
that this happens less?

I see this all the time at the college level and I
suspect it happens at the K-12 level. What do you
guys think? What is causing this anasthesia?

Cheers,

Diane