Re: [teacherartexchange] Question about TAB-Choice implementation

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 12:52:58 PDT

I don't know what everyone else is going to suggest, but I've had the
most luck by implementing at times. We might do a couple "standard"
art lessons, where I give a lesson and demonstration, and then the
kids do a project in response to what I've shown them, using
particular media.

Then, I might give a "choice" lesson, where I will demonstrate a
concept that I want them to learn, ask for examples of how they might
demonstrate to me that they understand that concept, we will
conference about individual projects and they will go to different
centers to complete their project.

This was a good way to get students (and administrators and parents!)
used to the TAB choice concept. Once everyone got used to it, I could
use the centers whenever I wanted to. I still don't use them for each
assignment, but the gradual introduction of centers was a good way to
get everyone on board (and also to show that my regular rules and
expectations apply, even if they get the freedom of centers.)

Does that make sense?

Becky
Charleston WV