Re:[teacherartexchange] NAEA( teacherartexchange digest: June 16, 2007)

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2007 - 15:32:01 PDT

Hi Heidi,

I agree with you and I am a university professor. I
do not want to offer up excuses, but the system is set
up so that we (universities) have very few avenues to
get on-going professional development. One idea I had
was to actually do a swap. The public school art
teacher could teach the classes, conduct research, and
do service at the university and then the professor
could teach at the public school and do all the things
required as well. I think it would be an eye opener
for both. I work about 50-60 hours a week and I am
usually so exhausted that there is little time left
for important things like professional development. I
know when I was an undergrad, I thought professors had
a cushy job...not so...or at least not for me...I work
constantly...but of course, I love it. I would never
do anything else.

What might be some possibilities that you could
recommend? Also, universities are usually charged
with "trying" to make things better and therefore
their recommendations may sound unrealistic. So in
the interest of making things better at both higher
ed and K-12 and getting to know the current realities,
what recommendations do you have?

Cheers,

Diane
--- Heidi McElroy <hmcelroy@naxs.com> wrote:

> Regarding NAEA publications:
> I must agree with Wendy that the latest batch of
> information headed to the
> recycling bin after I read it. Theories which have
> little relation to
> reality!!!!! Some of these professors need to spend
> a week or two in all
> levels of art (PK to 12) education at least once a
> year to learn about real
> life especially in the public school system. Heidi
> in VA
>

> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Dr. Diane C. Gregory