Re: [teacherartexchange] contests in general want art teacher's opinions

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2007 - 08:01:13 PDT

Hi Wendy,

I do agree with you about NAEA. I have been a
university professor for 25 years and I have found
that it is pretty much a closed society run by people
I do not know. It seems to be run by people who have
this political ambition. I have to constantly remind
myself that they are not even the statistical voice of
art teachers. I have never figured out how to get
their attention. I wish they had a technological way
to reach out to hear the voices of art teachers, not
just members of the NAEA.

Nevertheless, the point I was trying to make, is that
I already know that NAEA does not like contests. That
is a political and philosophical statement issued by a
National Organization. I wanted to know what art
teachers on the ground thought. I also wanted to
engage in a topic that people might find interesting.
I found out some things I didn't know. Authenticity
is pretty important to me and I value New Voices. I
like to read about what practicing K-12 art teachers
are thinking and doing. This helpls me stay more in
touch with the "real world" as they say. Higher
Education has its own "real world." However, most of
the people I work with are K-12 art teachers. I do
have to work though within a university real world
with its own set of issues and challenges.

In the last several years the Journal of Art
Education, has made a concerted effort to publish
articles from people who have never published before
in the journal. That is a great effort. It needs to
do more than that. I think this is the way it is with
most professional organizations at the National Level.
 As I said before, I think it is important to solicit
the opinions of art educators in all fields of the
profession. I would like to see some kind of way that
it seeks to gain the opinions of art teachers, not
just NAEA members. I would like to see this
information published by NAEA. I would like to engage
in a national discussion on how to go about doing
this. Do you have any ideas?

NAEA does now have a new Executive Director. This
would be a good time to tell her how you feel.
Explain what you find lacking in the materials they
send you. I have been trying to figure out how to get
her attention. Perhaps it is just as simple as
sending a letter. :-)

I have noticed also, that NAEA is now putting up
examples of K-12 art work on its web site. I like the
"master" works, too. But I also think we need to show
art work done by children as well. I wish the works
came with an artist statement by the children and a
lesson idea or some kind of explanation from the art
teacher as to what inspired this work of art. I
would also like to see NAEA try to find a way to
solicit the opinions and ideas of the people art
educators serve. I wonder sometimes what a 4th grader
thinks about their own art education and what they
would want.

Perhaps after I get tenure at the university I am
working at now (I received tenure at another
university...but switched jobs and have to do it all
over again.) I can write about these kinds of things.
It seems right now the journals want articles on
"research" stuff. Policy and political essays are not
so easily accepted for publication unless one can
figure out a way to pepper the thing with references
from journals.

Well enough of all of this. Thanks for listening and
writing back.

Warmly,

Diane

--- wendy free <wendypaigefree@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Diane,
>
> You are so right about NAEA! I am sad to say I
> think
> "they" are really out of touch with the issues we
> deal
> with. When I received my most recent mailing I was
> exasperated with the materials - of little use to
> me.
> My state art ed association membership I benefit
> from,
> but I'm thinking of cancelling my national one.
>

> wendy
> www.wendypaigefree.com
>

> ---
> To unsubscribe go to