RE: [teacherartexchange] contests in general

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 14:18:29 PDT

I participate in very few contests mainly because I don't have the time or
they don't fit into my curriculum. I guess to me, if the benefits are minimal
to the students, I will not take the time out of my current lessons to
participate.

 I do have my students participate in a local Design-An-Ad contest in which
they are assigned a company and have to create an advertisement for that
company. This assignment teaches them to follow directions closely (correct
information used for their company), creatively solve a problem (what type of
slogan to use), and see art as a career opportunity, which follows our state
standards. These are but a few of the benefits. I guess to me, if the benefits
are minimal to the students, I will not take the time out of my current
lessons to participate.

This year, I had five students' work chosen for publication (out of 54 total
companies possible) and two of my fifth grade students won cash awards- First
($100) & Second ($70) place!

Denise Pannell

Apache Kids'Art now online!

http://natepannell.memory-of.com/
"There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. Ghandi"