Re: [teacherartexchange] Wildlife Contest

---------

From: Jackie Brewer (jacjac2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 06:36:53 PDT

I have done this before, I bring in toy (plastic) ducks for them to
work from. No, not all students can take pictures and view from their
own areas where they live, that is why I don't push these types of
contest based on the fact that what they are asking for is not
available for student direct observation. What are you looking for,
students ability to capture work showing strong technical skills or
students ability to create their own composition for artistic
expression. How about having a basic line drawing of several ducks
for students to choose from and work from but must create their own
environment( so they have to study that), show their own
interpretations of color, and submit a short essay with the work. To
me that is more beneficial to the student all the way around. This
gives the students who do not have access to the wildlife of this
nature, a chance to be involved in a way that is more educational than
copying.

Now I know there are teachers and others who can add to this and also
take away from what I have suggested.