Re: [teacherartexchange] Elevating Vocabulary

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 08:46:41 PDT

What do you mean about the theory of teaching to the
lowest level? Who is giving the definitions and more
importantly doesn't this sound like some kind of
indoctrination? Who has the last word on the
definition of a word. Sounds like a very teacher
directed approach to me and one I do not support. Of
course it is great when students begin to study art
and discover different art words on their own and
begin to use them. However, the way that your
question is posed raises my concerns for your
orientation toward education. Who gives a definition?
 Who knows a definition? Who made the teacher the
great purveyor of definitions? Would it not elevate
discourse all the more, if that is your real
intention, to have students discover differing
definitions of words and then to debate them? I
submit that your orientation is about having students
learn a definition you give them and from my
perspective this is more indoctrination. It would not
raise the level of education. In fact, it would lower
it.

Sounds like you may want to look into various theories
of education such as social constructivism? Or at
least study the differences between objectivism and
constructivism.

One of the problems of education is the issue of who
knows the truth? Some educators think that education
is just the delivery of information that the
instructor has learned. This is a very narrow and
conrolling definition of the word education. In my
opinion this narrow definition of the term is
precisely what is wrong with education.

However, this is my opinion and you are free to
disagree.

Cheers,

Diane