Re: [teacherartexchange] summer school ideas

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 20:06:55 PDT

One spring when we had almost no supplies, we batiked
white paper towels found in the rest rooms and then
wove into some weavings. They were great! It became
a standard activity after that.

Another activity that was a hit was doing paper
quilts. We did rubbings over leaves using 6 inch
squares using thin white paper. We used crayons or
oil pastels. I prefere oil pastels but some students
liked crayons. In any case you make 9, 6 inch squares
and then you can cut them diagonally to assemble them.
 You can study tesselations along with this and the
also transformations by M.C. Escher if you want. Also
you can study the Guilts at Gees Bend as well. This
is a special year for the Quilts at Gees Bend and I
think there is something special going on at the High
Museum or somewhere like that ...not sure the exact
details. I also have had students do digital quilts
as well, by scanning found natural objects and then
using Photo Shop or Elements to change the images and
then arrange them into quilts.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Diane