re:[teacherartexchange] spam

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 08:36:25 PDT

Christy,

I haven't received anything like you are describing
and I'm pretty sure that this list is monitored fairly
strictly - in other words someone actually approves
the individual messages to go through.

Are you sure they are associated with the list?
Sometimes websites that you visit have hidden programs
that allow them to collect your data and then start
spamming you - so simply clicking on the wrong google
result can get you spam from a website that you never
meant to visit. (A few years ago a friend of mine's
teenage daughter decided to type in her name .com just
to see what might be there and it turned out to be a
porn site and so their computer was inundated with
ridiculous pop-ups - needless to say, her parents were
not pleased.)

Whatever you do, don't respond to their please remove
me from this list link - that's how spammers verify
what addresses actually work and asking to be removed
will actually result in more unwanted spam.

Some ways to avoid spam are to type out your address
in ways that can't be used like mynameatyahoodotcom
instead of instead of your actual address. Another is
to set up a dummy email so that when you go to a site
that requires your email to find out information (like
a real estate site that requires your address to look
at what homes are for sale) you can use the extra
email address and not your actual email and then just
don't bother checking the dummy address as it will be
full of spam.

Hope this helps!

chris