Re: [teacherartexchange] Uses for old oil pastel

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 07:10:19 PDT

Hi Sue,
        My students (elementary) removed the paper covering, then cut the
oil pastels (they are soft-use a serrated plastic knife) into
medallion slices and glued them in mosaic patterns into small box
lids or yogurt lids with Elmer's Glue-All. The lids were first
fitted with a porous paper which was glued into the lid. An outline
of the design is drawn on the paper. Then glue is put on the lines
and the crayon pieces were placed into the glue. Other mosaic
materials can be added as well. I introduced the students to a
variety of cultures where mosaics were/are used.

                                        Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                                        Art teacher, K-5, retired