Re:[teacherartexchange] budget woes...

---------

From: Robert Lane (RLANE_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 20:05:08 PDT

Yesterday was not a good day for me. My principal informed me that I don't

have a budget for next year, I didn't have one for this year either! He

said, I could ask the kids to bring in supplies but I couldn't make them,

he said "no" to art fee . He said "no" to a fund raiser, he says " no"

to selling stuff to the kids . He says "NO" to pretty much everything !

He said his school budget was cut by 60 %! He chose to cut mine 100 %

sharon,
when you have no budget, you're really free to teach art basics... for example, students can explore a variety of recyclyed surfaces with which to draw, paint, and assemble...
begin by asking classroom teachers to set aside paper they might otherwise discard and send it to you... ask custodians to bring boxes and paper to you before throwing it away... you'll be surprised how quickly materials will start to pile up... during to first weeks teach art culture and history... char the ends of twigs and branches to make primitive drawing utensils, powder the charred wood to mix with water for ink... grind old paper and have students make paper... you get the picture...
when these works are displayed in the halls for open house night, along with the cultural, historical, and aesthetic connections being learned by the students as they make their own tools and materials for personal expression, you've done your job... students will also learn that materials and tools don't have to come from an art store... if there is a large area of dirt or sand outside of your classroom, spend a week outside drawing with sticks in the sand... that's how R.C. Gorman started his art path...
administrators that have eliminated your budget have no room to complain about your student output... a car can't get far without gas... but as long as students are learning the basics, you're performing your job well...
also, for additional funding separate from your district or state, look into donorschoose for the easiest grant you'll ever write... it's all online... hopefully your state is one that participates in their program...
robb lane