[teacherartexchange] New! ARTifact - Online Exhibit from Zhaoqing University China

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2006 - 08:01:55 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Tom Chambers has shared another online exhibit with me. See ARTifact:
http://zquart.tomrchambers.com/ec.html
This is a photoshop lesson done with freshman students. Click on the
finished work to see larger view - a smaller thumbnail is shown of the
original photograph.

From Tom:

This is the first time for these Freshmen art majors
to experience and apply software [PhotoShop] to a
photographic image to manipulate it to produce an
ARTifact. The photographs were acquired and exchanged
through student partnerships [Classes 1 and 2/Classes
3 and 4] for manipulation.

This process and its first-generation art product
borders on "The Exquisite Corpse" ... based on an old
parlor game and used as one of the Surrealist
techniques exploiting the mystique of accident. One of
the basic tenants of Surrealism is the notion that
creativity/genius can be a shared experience, and the
student partnerships were set up to create a greater
awareness of this concept and its Movement.

Over a very short timeline ... four days [three hours
per day] of class instruction ... the students
acquired basic software application skills to begin to
move towards making digital art for print and online
presentation.

The first-generation art products are open for a
true approach to "The Exquisite Corpse". Contact Tom
R. Chambers:
chambersdva (at) yahoo.com
if you and/or your students are interested in
continuing this process.
This looks like a good lesson. I know some of you have already tried
it with students. Tom and Harold Olejarz have been doing a photo
exchange. See TOMHAROLD: http://www.tomharold.com/

For more work by Tom's students see Student exhibition directory:
http://zquart.tomrchambers.com/exhibdir.html

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department