[teacherartexchange] Colors of Clay - Getty Exhibit of Athenian Pottery

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2006 - 07:36:34 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Those of you who teach about Greek Pottery will be interested in this
online exhibit from Getty. The museum exhibit runs through September 4
- so this online presentation may end then, too.

14. The Colors of Clay: Special Techniques in Athenian Vases [Macromedia
Flash Player]
http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/colors_clay/homepage.html

This web exhibition from The Getty takes you on a gently guided tour of the
various ways in which Athenian vase painters decorated clay vessels between
550 and 340 B.C. Eight styles and techniques are explored: Bilingual, Coral
Red, Six's Technique, Added Clay and Gilding, Outline Drawing, White Ground,
Plastic, and Kerch Style. Zoomable images of artifacts, textual captions,
and, in a few cases, audio curators' commentary are used at the site to
explain the eight techniques. Learn, for example, that the Bilingual style
is called that because pieces have red-figure painting on one side, and
black-figure painting on the other, hence they are bilingual. Coral Red was
only used for a short time, and by only a few workshops, but this type of
piece was prized since the color was enhanced by wine. [DS]
Check the video on how to make the face mold cup. I think that is a
doable lesson for high school. Students can form a sculpture (being
careful not to have undercuts) - allow it to get bone dry (sculpture
clay can be reclaimed) - make the clay mold and fire it - then cast
two cups using draped slab method and finish them two different ways
(so students can get the idea of making multiple copies from a mold).
If anyone tries the lesson, let me know.

This was listed in Scout Report (copyright 2006) http://scout.wisc.edu/

I won't be linking this since I don't know how long it will be online
- so save the post if this interests you.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/