Re: [teacherartexchange] Tamara Hoover

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 10:00:18 PDT

She did not post the pictures of herself. Her
girlfriend is an artist and she posted the photos.
There were about 650 photos on this site and only a
few of them were of the teacher nude. Her name was not
used on the site and she was not advertising her
nudity. The kids that saw the pictures were not
"little children"...they were high school
students...and if you have ever spent 5 minutes
listening to a high school converstaion on a monday
morning you know that they are seeing more nudity,
having more sex, doing more drugs, and drinking more
alcohol than everyone on this list combined.

For you to think that any nude photo is meant to
titilate and is immoral is part of the problem we as
artists are constantly forced to confront. We can't
even show nude sculptues to our art history classes
without a permission slip because of people thinking
that nude=wrong. It wasn't like she was involved in a
sexual act in the photos...she was just nude. And it
was a website for photographers to post their
work...not lesbian.com or anything like that!!

This attitude about teachers being "holy" is why we
continue to be underpaid and treated unfairly. We are
expected to work overtime, volunteer most of our
freetime, and set the standard for morality
nationwide. It's as if we have taken a vow of poverty
and sacrificed ourselves to the cause. Now we can;t
even participate in perfectly legal activities like
going to a liquor store or a club?

There is no one willing to do the same for us...the
minute we have a problem we are chucked out the window
or forced to turn to our teacher associations that we
pay huge sums of money to because we know "they" are
out there gunning for us!

It seems like pendulum has swung too far to the right
trying to overcompensate for the whacko child
molesters that end up teaching because of the
nationwide shortages. If a teacher is expected to be a
more than human soon no one will want to teach and
then all we will have entering the field will be the
people who prey on children. - Mikel