Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Austin Art Teacher fired over photos

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 19:19:42 PDT

"back in the day" i had to take "teachers and the
law", one of the best courses and best profs i've ever
experienced. if this is the full story and she was a
truly a good teacher being unfairly persecuted because
of her personal, private activities i'd contribute to
her defense and simultaneously advise her to flee such
a repressive, backwards environment. there are places
close to me that still ban books! eeks. i believe
one of the cases we studied in class involved an
elementary teacher being dismissed because she was
visibly pregnant and that, at the time, was considered
immoral or something; teachers in that condition were
expected to stay home and away from impressionable
young minds?!? on the flip side, i acknowledge that
*i* live in the real world, and am pretty darned
careful about what i share publicly. i guess i love
my job more than pretending i have absolute freedom.
sad, but true.

worth reading:

know the law; use common sense!

wendy FREE?