Re: [teacherartexchange] Austin Art Teacher fired over photos

---------

From: Harold Olejarz (holejarz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 17:52:22 PDT

Chris,

I heard of this too and was thinking of raising the issue.

I don't think she should be fired as long as she did not tell the
students that the pictures of her were on line. But this is an example
of how people may be putting too much personal info on the web without
thinking about who is looking. This case also reflects the direction
our country is heading in these days.

There are many college art professors that are doing gender based work
and exploring all kinds of sexual imagery. It seems that in college it
is OK but not in a K-12 environment. I understand that if K-12
students come across "naked pictures of their teacher" it could create
quite a stir in a k - 12 situation. One could argue that it interferes
with education but teachers do have rights outside of the school
environment and those rights should be protected.

This case could wind up going to the Supreme Court.

Harold

Harold Olejarz
Blog - digitalharold.blogspot.com
Website - www.digitalharold.com