RE: [teacherartexchange] Austin Art Teacher fired over photos

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 17:26:49 PDT

My husband has long laughed at me over these last 30 years because I have
minded my p's and q's to the extent that I will not even go into a liquor
store and buy liquor lest someone in the community see me coming out with a
case of beer for him, since I don't even drink!. I used to teach in the
community in which I live (for the last 20 years my job is 12 miles from
where I live). I believe that no matter what you may think, you will always
be seen as "little suzy's" art teacher. I believe that there are those
people who will think I am looney enough by the way I dress, and the way I
teach, that anything as innocent as buying a case of beer can make the
rounds of the neighborhood to change me into an alcoholic in the cultural
game of "telephone". Now fast forward to the art teacher in Austin who had
nude pix of herself on the web. My husband and I discussed it. We needed
more information. Are these part of an art statement? Are these private
photos? Are these revenge photos (i.e. posted by an ex?) If these are part
of a larger art statement, is the statement evident, are the photos in
context? Did she in fact sign a contract that had a moral stipulation? I
would think it would be hard for her to teach after the revelation of the
photos, whether art or not, because people (young and old alike) will always
be looking at her with xray glasses.

just my random thoughts

San D