[teacherartexchange] Austin Art Teacher fired over photos

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 15:58:48 PDT

I saw this on CNN a couple of days ago and I'm
surprised that no one is talking about this on this
list, so I thought I would bring it to your attention
in case you hadn't heard about it.

The story is about Tamara Hoover an art teacher in
Austin who has been fired over some photos of her that
were posted online.

Here's a link to the article.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/16/naked.teacher.ap/index.html

I'll be interested to hear what you all have to say
about this. I'm a first year teacher and I have some
gender based work that isn't appropriate for my
students (elementary level) to see, so I'm curious as
to whether or not this is going to be an issue, or has
been an issue for other teachers.

One thing that I found especially interesting was the
"higher moral standard" expected of elementary
teachers. Apparently there is a "moral turpitude"
clause in the language of the teacher's contracts in
Austin that is at the crux of the matter.

I wonder if there be as much of an issue if these were
photos that she took of someone else, or is it that
she's a female teacher and the photos are of her?

Just wondering what you thought and if you've ever had
problems with your art work conflicting with your role
as an art teacher.

chris in Central Arkansas