RE: [teacherartexchange] art/history - PBS

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 17:15:50 PDT

I thought it very interesting, and also very thought provoking. I teach AP
Art History and the host approaches art history from a unique perspective.
This week's show centered on man's ideal in making the human form, and how
that ideal changed from culture to culture. It was very interesting seeing
him carry the REAL Venus of Willendorf (or as the feminists say Woman of
Willendorf). The show is beautifully shot, and takes the 'flatness' out of
images I use with my students, and makes them real (i.e. carrying the
sculpture, walking through Karnak, and watching the metamorphis of Kritios
Boy to Warrior from Riace.) The next show apparently deals with painted
images, spec. starting with the caves. Given that Time Magazine had a recent
article on the fungus that is attacking the caves of Lascaux, if he was
given access I would say recording is a good idea before they are sealed
back up forever.

San D