RE:[teacherartexchange] how to present geography and history in art?

---------

From: Mark & Bridget Nowlin (bluetroll_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 09:03:38 PDT

Nora,

You may want to check out the Confluence Project, done in OR and WA
around the Lewis & Clark Expedition. It features new works by Maya Lin
set in significant sites relating to the Expedition and to the native
peoples they encountered along the way. This involves all 3 of your
topics - geography, history and art! More information can be found at
http://www.confluenceproject.org/ and at
http://www.henryart.org/ex/mayalin.htm

--Bridget

-----------
In preparing for next year I'd like to develop a plan for incorporating
geography and history. I've always had a world map and a timeline in my
room but haven't used them very dynamically. I was thinking possibly of
also providing each student a map and a timeline to keep in their art
folders so that they could add entries as we discuss significant events
and locate areas on the map.
Also would like to figure out how to continually present various
museums - their contents and locations.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Nora