Re: [teacherartexchange] More curriculum questions

---------

From: Joe & Vickie Magee (jvmagee_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 07:53:21 PDT

Hi Stacie,
I teach K-12 and I like to keep projects different from one grade level to
the next. Students in younger grades see what older students are making and
look forward to many of these projects in the coming years. To keep things
less chaotic I try to find themes or units that focus on the same materials
or ideas. When I do the clay unit I have all my K-8 doing clay at the same
time because of the time, housekeeping, and firing processes. Each grade
level has a specific project for each year. K-handprints and free animal
sculpture, 1st grade-pinch pots, 2nd grade-pinch pot frogs, 3rd grade-owl
plaques or fish bowls (slab method), 4th grade-coil pots, 5th grade-piggy
banks, 6th grade-personal boxes, 7th grade-castles, and 8th grade
personality mugs. Other themes may focus on a culture and each class does
art from that country or culture. Because I have so many classes coming and
going in a week my time for planning is limited and so is space. By keeping
the units similar with different projects I can eliminate some of the chaos.
Hope these suggestions help.
The good thing is by teaching only elementary you will be able to focus more
on the objectives and planning of the projects. I feel when I have to
spread my attention out so thin I neglect either elementary, middle, or
highschool at some point or another.

Vickie
Victoria L Magee
Art K-12