[teacherartexchange] teaching advertising to junior high

---------

From: Tanya Stanger (ts1132_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 10:27:17 PDT

Hello,
I'm teaching a course called 'art and advertising' for 11 weeks this
summer to junior high kids. This is one of my first teaching
opportunities. I've been thinking about how to teach this without
getting too heavy (ie: addressing controversial issues like body image
in advertising) b/c its a summer course. I was thinking about having
the students change an existing product into a product that is non-
realistic/completely eccentric/imaginative. For example, a sneaker
with wings- which allows the user to fly. And following the creation
of the product, the students will creative an ad on illustration board
to promote the product. And lastly, compose a jingle to compliment the
ad. Please let me know your thoughts on this. And if you can think of
a differnt direction to go with this course, please let me know. I
would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Tanya